Before you go, gather information regarding veterinarians in the area of your destination:
- Ask your own vet if s/he has any associates in the area.
- Check with members of newsgroups on the web for vets who are trusted and low cost. Rescue groups often have this information, and many are very involved with newsgroups.
- Check on hours of availability. You may need to have two names handy, one for normal hours, and one for after hours emergencies.
- Keep the address and phone number of the vets you've found with your vaccination records.
- This may be a good time to obtain medical insurance for your companion animal.