Friday, April 14, 2017

A Precious Blessing and A Second Chance at Life #diasquad

Two weeks ago, we finally met our second bundle of joy. Her name is Atarah Maxine Apdian - Dias. She was born two weeks early on March 31st via emergency c-section. Amazingly weighs 9lbs even and 20 inches tall. Yes, she's definitely a Texas size baby! She's totally opposite from our first daughter who was born at 29 weeks and only weighs 3lbs and 11 ounces.
My labor and delivery story doesn't represent your typical "pop and gush" birth scenario. It was scary. Unexpected. Traumatic. Challenging. Miraculous.

Two days after my visit to my OBGYN, I started having this blurry vision. The next day everything looks peach black. I could see bold colors and bold letters but not the small details. I thought it's normal and just part of pregnancy as what I've read on Google. I complained it to my husband and he started to get worry. So he called our OBGYN. Unexpectedly, he was told to go to the hospital asap because the baby needs to be delivered right away. We found out that I'm preeclamptic.

"Preeclampsia is a condition that pregnant women develop. It is marked by high blood pressure in women who have previously not experienced high blood pressure before. Preeclamptic women will have a high level of protein in their urine and often also have swelling in the feet, legs, and hands"

So my husband rushed home from work to pick me up and drove us to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital and I was brought to labor and delivery room right away. Everything happened rapidly in that room. I just closed my eyes and prayed that everything will be alright. A few nurses and anesthesiologist were busy preparing all the equipments. I can hear that they're in a hurry. It got me more nervous and terrified.

Thirty minutes later, at 6:03 pm our daughter was born. She was sent to the NICU since she was born 2 weeks early. They found out that she had a respiratory issue and her calcium was low.

After my surgery, I was sent to the recovery room still struggling with my vision, completely dizzy and chilly. I also can't get my blood pressure back to normal so they gave me something that could help and lower it down. No progress at all until I felt that I couldn't breath anymore. I almost had a stroke.
I thought that day would be the end of my life. I guess one of the meds made me really sick. I've never seen so many doctors, nurses and techs in my life after that episode. That whole night was a nightmare. Saturday night I was sent to the iCU and stayed there for 3 nights. I was then moved to another recovery room and stayed for another 3 nights. I've been moved a few times, drawn blood for over 50 times, hooked with thousand of cables around my body, dizzy, can't get up and could not see clearly...boy, I haven't even seen or held my baby since she was born. Finally, after 7 days I was able to hold my baby for the first time. Thanks to all the excellent and very supportive nurses who surprised me that day. I'm blessed!
After two days of working with an occupational therapist and a physical therapist, I was released from the hospital but the baby was still in the NICU. It's devastating. But thank God, her calcium level has improved after 3 days. Now she's out of the NICU and is home with us. At last!
United finally after over 10 days.
It's been a rough journey but I believe in God...that in Him nothing is impossible. I'm hoping and praying that I will get my vision back soon so I can function very well. Busy days ahead of me and I'm not looking forward to go to these gazillion doctor appointments. I just want to recuperate quickly and be able to go back to my regular routine without taking all these medicines everyday.
Im grateful that Greg has been there by my side and never fail to lift my spirit. I couldn't ask for a better husband and father. I don't know what I would do without his help and support. He is and will always be my rock even though he can be vulnerable and can't hide his emotions in front of me. This entire experience made me embrace life more and live life to the fullest. I’m thankful to God for giving us another precious blessing and for giving me a second chance at life. #diasquad
Family, relatives, and friends: I thank you all for your prayers, support and well wishes.

P.S I'm sorry if I won't be able to get back to your calls, texts, and messages for now. Thanks for understanding.


chubskulit said...

I am so thankful to God that both of you are okay. I had this feeling that something is going on March 31st that's why I texted you. So happy to see Atarah and to know that you are okay now sis. Still praying for you guys. Loveya!

Unknown said...

Oh Man! I kept thinking about you last month yotch! I've been messaging friends in FB who are close in contact to you if they have heard any news from you. I also sent you messages after I heard the news you were on labor. I was so worried! I kept praying! Oh... at last, baby Atarah is here <3 I hope your vision will go back to normal soon yotch. Oh man that was scary! Will keep you in my prayers yotch.

Unknown said...

Mareng, I wanted to cry while reading this blog. I can't imagine the struggle you & greg had. Miracles do happen & prayers are powerful. We were not informed of the condition you had but we prayed ahead for you safe delivery. Thank God, you're fine & the baby too. Lovelots, Mareng. Take care. Miss u. 😘

Clang said...

Napaiyak naman ako sa hirap ng naranasan mo and happy to know as well that you and baby are ok. Pagaling kayo, will keep you both in my prayers. ����