8. Smart travelers know how to take advantage of overbooking. By volunteering your seat when a flight is overbooked you can earn free flights and often even cash from the airline. If you don't absolutely have to be there on time, volunteer to give up your seat, if it becomes needed, when you check in for your flight. Monday morning and Friday afternoon flights are the most likely to be overbooked.
9. When traveling to Washington DC, always compare prices for flying into nearby Baltimore instead, it's almost always much less expensive.
10. When flying into New York City, be sure to compare prices for flying into nearby Newark, New Jersey instead.
11. When flying to Los Angeles, be sure to compare prices for flying into nearby Orange County, Burbank or Ontario (California) airports.
12. When flying to London, be sure to compare prices for flying into nearby Birmingham instead.